Saturday, June 26, 2010

Week 4

http://www.paddling.net/

Mr. or Ms. Webmaster:

I love Kayaking, canoeing, outdoors, anything that involves me being on a river or outdoors appeals. I came across your site and just thought I'd take a dreamy look at the products (as if I could ever purchase anything as a college student). I was intrigued to find a site that seemed full of opportunities, but I got kind of lost on the homepage with so many things going on. As I began skimming through, I found the info bar at the top, which was very helpful, and led me to different well-organized pages. So then I thought to myself, "What a great idea it would be to write this site's webmaster a helpful evaluation and critique!" And I did just that.

I think if I were going to make some changes I would begin on the front page. The first page needs to have a clear and concise image of what the website really is with a more inviting feel. Almost like, hey you've made it, you'll find what you're looking for and feel free to explore. The customer needs are within the site so if there was more inclination of pointing them in the direction of where they really want to go. This also provides plenty of time to explore other things as they skim the list looking for their destination. If their link is on the front page but there is a whole lot of other information there is a chance your viewer could overlook something and can get discouraged trying to find something. Imagine if you walked into walmart to get something in particular or to just look around but everything they had was stacked up right in front of you. This is what crowding information looks like on a website; it makes it hard to find anything.

I do think to accompany all that is happening on this front page, the plain water blue, grey, and white background was a good choice. However, if there was a change in the layout of things there could be a prouder color. Even if the choice is grey, a good grey can be quite appealing and bring a strong connection that causes the reader to feel at ease. The water blue (atleast that's what I thought of when I saw it). It is fitting but it is a little awkward. It is ordinary but at the same time pretty vibrant. I think because there are no contrasting colors. Try blues on top of blues or using some fading effects. You don't have to go to much out of your original color range to see it really take form. It might even look like real water.

So basically the feel I am getting from this site is, "Go exploring, have fun and if you need anything, we got it!", which is great, and I think you have all the means necessary for my next trip, except I've got to find it, and I need a clear path to my ideas of where I want to go. I also get the family feel, which means Mom and Dad are on here, and who has the money after all to do this type of thing -- adults. Not all adults, especially ones who are in to outdoors, know how to find these details on a website. They need clarity, and you have to be able to provide that. I don't know how many times my dad has looked for the same login button he uses every time on bellsouth.net, his mouse circling around till finally, "There it is!" Of course I knew where it was but I grew up on these machines. Basically, I'm saying to make sure there is enough clarity so all your customers can enjoy your site to its fullest potential.

Enjoyed it

1 comment:

  1. Good analysis. I agree with you that the main change this website needs is some simplification and clarity in the front page. All of those boxes everywhere ends up making it look pretty cluttered, and there are so many links everywhere that it's a little intimidating and painful to the eyes. I think your advice and suggestions are all pretty valid.

    ReplyDelete